W. African Biomedical Workshop - Application
The American Society for Cell Biology is now accepting applications for a two-week workshop led by international faculty to train graduate students and young scientists from Africa in basic and applied research on protozoan pathogens, including malaria parasites and trypanosomes.
The Carnegie Corporation-funded Workshop (13-24 July 2009) will provide training in several areas including:
- The Cell Cycles of Parasites
- Parasite Infection Motility and Invasion
- Functional Genomics & Bioinformatics
- Scientific Communication Skills
- Research Ethics
- Methods to Study Gene Control and Function
- T-Cell Biology & Immunity
- Antigenic Variation in Human Parasites
- Vaccine & Drug Discovery
- Developing Research Proposals
The workshop emphasizes student participation through presentations, roundtable discussions, hands-on laboratory sessions and informal interactions. Training will take place at the Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR), University of Ghana.