Church Organs, Andrew Carnegie’s Passion!
While Carnegie Corporation of New York no longer supports the donation and refurbishment of church organs, these instruments were a passion of our founder, Andrew Carnegie, who paid for new organs in thousands of community churches. The images below document the first seven years of these gifts, from 1901 – 1908. Carnegie was reported to have joked that while he would not be responsible for what the preacher might say, he would be responsible for the positive influence of the music! He even went so far as to install one in his house, the current home of the Cooper Hewitt Museum of Design in New York, where it remains.