Carnegie Corporation of New York currently has an exciting opportunity for an individual who is passionate about advancing higher education opportunities and peacebuilding efforts in Africa, and who thrives in a fast-paced, team-oriented and problem-solving environment.
The ideal candidate for the role of Administrative Assistant, Higher Education & Research in Africa, is someone who is proactive, has high initiative, energetic, well organized, and able to multi-task, prioritize, learn quickly, and has job experience working in the non-profit sector.
The Administrative Assistant position will be responsible for providing administrative support to two Program Officers in the Higher Education and Research in Africa Program.
The goal of the Higher Education and Research in Africa program is to enhance training, research and retention of academics in select countries of sub-Saharan Africa. Understanding that Africa’s higher education institutions and learning and academic communities are key to reaching the continent’s potential, the program funds grantees that foster future generations of academics, connects centers of higher education across Africa and the diaspora, supports advancements in leadership, policy and governance in sub-Saharan Africa, and funds research, training and networks involved in peacebuilding efforts in Africa.
Overall Job Responsibilities:
- Type and distribute correspondence and grant related documents written by supervisor; draft correspondence for supervisor’s signature.
- Schedule and maintain program officers’ calendars, schedule meetings, and receive guests.
- Initiate and monitor administrative aspects of grants process using grants management software (FLUXX) including grant invitations and equivalency determinations, and communicate with prospective and active grantees, accordingly.
- Prepare consultant contracts using Salesforce software and track and ensure payment processes.
- Prepare program officers’ domestic and international travel arrangements and itineraries, obtain international travel visas, process travel and expense reports using Certify expense statement software.
- Organize internal and external meeting events including budget, venue, invitations, RSVP’s, participant travel arrangements and participant expense reimbursements.
- Manage and monitor program officers’ administrative budgets.
- Track and manage workflow for the department.
- Miscellaneous duties as required.
Proven organizational and interpersonal skills; above average written and oral communication skills; Extremely detail oriented; Discretion; Initiative; Flexibility; Judgement. Undergraduate degree and minimum of two years administrative experience. Experience working in an international non-profit environment a plus. Savvy user of technology, and proficiency in a Microsoft Windows environment.
How to Apply:
Please respond, with cover letter, resume, and recent writing sample in one document, via e-mail to email@example.com. Include the job title of "Administrative Assistant, HERA" in the subject line of the e-mail. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Carnegie Corporation of New York is an Equal Opportunity Employer for all qualified job applicants without regard to race color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, marital/partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, and any other attributes protected by law. The Corporation abides by all applicable rules and regulations in its recruiting and employment practices, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and state disability laws.