Carnegie Corporation of New York’s historical records are open to researchers and have been housed at Columbia University’s Rare Book and Manuscript Library, in New York City, since 1990.
This is a growing collection: the Corporation continues to donate its inactive grant files, board and executive committee files, annual reports, publications, and other records of permanent, historical value. In addition to the Corporation’s records, Columbia University’s Carnegie Collections include:
Carnegie Corporation of New York Oral History Project
A 40-year undertaking, the Oral History Project has been conducted in several phases. Phase One began in 1966 and was completed in 1974. The 479 hours of testimony and 9,948 pages of transcript gathered in this phase reflect the thinking of Corporation officers, staff members, and grantees and offer a rich portrait of the Corporation’s evolution over the first 58 years of its existence. Interviewees discuss the organization’s work in adult education, cognitive research, educational testing, library science, music education, national security, teacher education, and social-science research generally.
Phase Two of the project, begun in 1996, traces the continuity of many of these programs across the second half of the twentieth century and the Corporation’s expansion into global funding strategies in the areas of peace, scientific research, and international cooperation. Phase Two of the project covers the period between 1966 and 1997 of the Corporation’s history. A third phase of the project began in the mid-2000s.
CARNEGIE ENDOWMENT FOR INTERNATIONAL PEACE RECORDS
The Carnegie Endowment for International Peace (CEIP), founded by Andrew Carnegie in 1910, was initially located in New York City and is now headquartered in Washington, D.C. Columbia University officers were closely associated with the endowment, most notably Nicholas Murray Butler, who served as the CEIP president from 1925 to 1945.
CARNEGIE FOUNDATION FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF TEACHING RECORDS
The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching (CFAT) was established in 1905 as a professors’ pension fund and was closely affiliated with Carnegie Corporation of New York until the early 1980s, when it moved to new, separate headquarters in Princeton, N.J. Since 1997, the CFAT has been located in California.
CARNEGIE COUNCIL FOR ETHICS IN INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS RECORDS
The Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs (formerly the Church Peace Union and, later, the Council on Religion in International Affairs) was founded by Andrew Carnegie in 1914. The CCEIA Records represent the second Carnegie collection, after the CEIP, to find their home at Columbia University’s Rare Book and Manuscript Library. The first installment of the Council’s archival materials came to the Rare Books and Manuscript Library in 1974, with numerous additions over the years.